October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. During this annual event, government and industry leaders come together to raise awareness about the importance of cybersecurity.
This year’s campaign theme is “Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart.” This theme was selected to empower both individuals and organizations to take ownership of their unique role in promoting cybersecurity, with the key message being, “If you connect, protect it.”
It’s crucial for businesses like yours to stay cyber-secure in order to safeguard company data, protect customers’ personal information and ensure employee privacy. Here’s how you can do your part to foster organizational cybersecurity:
- Establish policies to promote cybersecurity. This includes a bring your own device policy, email and internet communication policy, acceptable use policy, remote work policy and incident response policy.
- Educate your employees. Utilize a training program to make employees aware of cybersecurity threats and how to avoid them.
- Implement smart software. Install strong spam filters, firewalls, and anti-virus and malware programs on all company devices. In addition, maintain network security by using a virtual private network.
- Enforce access controls. Only allow trusted and qualified individuals access to sensitive data. Further, ensure all employees use strong passwords and update them on a routine basis.
- Bolster business continuity. Be sure to back up data frequently. Consider storing copies of critical data in additional secure locations such as the cloud.
- Have a plan. Establish a cyber incident response plan to minimize potential losses in the event of a cyber attack. Test this plan regularly.
Contact ProAction Insurance for more cybersecurity guidance and cyber insurance solutions.