Many Home Health Care agencies require their
employees to operate their own vehicles while working. Generally, Home Health
Care providers are required to drive to and from clients’ homes throughout
their work day. While some larger Home Health Care Agencies may provide
company owned vehicles for business use, many agencies cannot afford to
maintain a fleet of company autos. In order to help protect your healthcare
business, consider implementing a written Risk Management policy addressing
the Non-Owned and Hired Auto Liability exposure, outlining what the minimum
expectations are for each employee while operating a vehicle for company
Keep in mind that many personal automobile insurance companies will exclude Liability coverage if a personally owned vehicle is involved in an accident while in the course of business. This is why it’s very important that your business have Non-Owned & Hired Auto Liability coverage in place. This coverage protects your business for liability claims brought against you in the event that an employee injures another party while driving during the course of business.
When driving from client to client, home health care workers are at a high risk for motor vehicle-related injuries. Make sure to stay safe on the road by adhering to these safety tips. Safety Tips for the Road Follow these tips to stay safe while driving on the job:
· Wear your seat belt.
· Stop the vehicle before using a cellphone, whether to make a phone call or send a text message.
· Avoid distracting activities such as eating, drinking and adjusting the radio and other controls while driving.
· Avoid driving when you’re feeling overtired.
· Use detailed maps to determine your route before you leave, or use a GPS.
· Have the vehicle checked and serviced regularly.
· Keep the gas tank at least a quarter full.
· Carry an emergency kit containing a flashlight, extra batteries, flares, a blanket and bottled water. Follow these tips if you’re driving and you encounter any of the following situations
To learn more about how ProAction Insurance can help your company maintain business income while reducing commercial auto exposures, call 951-898-9892 or visit www.proaction-ins.com.